…Of Oz! Get it? “The man behind the curtain!”
Anywho, this month’s tech-focused blog post deals with four little pieces that have been of note during the month of April. Enjoy!
An exciting little project: removal of a METI HPS head. The HPS being used in our simulated operating room has a very messed up face: a tear from the corner of his mouth, some stains and lots of general grime. While it is still under warranty (just a few more weeks…no renewal possible for this old unit), I decided to get his face replaced. This requires a trip to Sarasota, FL and some tender care from METI Customer Support.
While I was a little apprehensive before starting the task, it turned out to be fairly simple. All the tubes have quick-release connections and are clearly labeled at both ends: esophagus, bronchi, eye control, etc. The only trick was disconnecting his spine: I got a tip from METI’s Ben Walker to detach the spine at the base of the skull, not the neck. I did need to hunt around campus for the correct size allen wrench; thanks a bunch to Elaine and the good folks in ITS. Then, with time and patience (the close quarters only allow for about 120 degrees rotation before you have to reseat the wrench), I was able to perform a successful Mortal Kombat finishing move. Get Over Here!
One of the joys of being the technical head of the simulation program here at UNE is the opportunity to reassess our operations and then go about refining our lab’s systems. For the past year, I have felt frustration with the layout of the control rooms; in particular, the control room that doubles as my office.
The difficulty comes with the multi-function nature of the space: sometimes it is just an office where I program, cut video and eat lunch; other times it is chock full of people running a scenario (myself, faculty, actors, etc). When being shared by multiple people, we are constantly getting in each others’ way: a beverage blocks the mouse I need to use, I have to squeeze past someone to get a microphone, everyone’s backpacks/purses are tripped over. So I wanted to figure out a way to consolidate my systems and create a separation of “tech space” and “guest space.”
Luckily I had the time to rearrange my multiple computer systems and the money to purchase a wall mount for a monitor. By moving stuff up and over, I was able to make my technician space and a public space clearly defined. Now, bags can go under the desktop or on the hooks mounted on the wall and faculty notes can be organized on top.
For UNE’s Annual Spring Symposium, CSP was called on to help create and record several video vignettes relating to veterans’ health issues. One of the vignettes focused on a soldier with an IED-related arm injury. Cynthia and I needed to doctor the actor’s arm up for the videotaping, but did not want to spend a long time on the project. We chose to use a Laerdal rubber burn skin:
Intended for use on our SimMan, this piece easily slipped onto the actor’s hand. We then wrapped the rubber hand and the actor’s forearm in gauze, securing everything in place and adding that clinical touch. Here it is in action:
Lastly, exciting news! We received approval to purchase SimMan 3G a month or so ago (which I believe Cynthia mentioned previously on these pages) but we have now learned that he is on his way! While offering all the features of our current SimMan, 3G has several unique additions, the most obvious being his lack of wires…we get to go mobile with our adult simulation scenarios. 3G also brings a simple, quick to set up fluid system to our program: he’ll bleed, cry, foam at the mouth and sweat at the drop of a hat. Look for an upcoming announcement of Mr. 3G’s welcoming party!
That’s all from the desk of the Wizard!