Organizing for the Masses

In reading the Palmer article entitled “Thematic Research Collections,” I was bored, but pleased. In undergraduate education this tool of collection could be a very useful source for collating and organization of broad thematic inquiry. This potential streamlining of sources and content would be an enviable aide to the process of finding information for a given topic. Perhaps one of the downfalls of this sort of prioritization and “creators select” materials is that the scope of the collection is faceted to the aims of the original creator. A positive is that, much like Wikipedia the sources and “collection” can be expanded by other contributors. This sort of one stop shop for information will certainly cut down on time spent in the library catalogue searching each avenue of information.

As a source for undergraduate research and scholarship I think these sorts of collection driven environments that take advantage of “contextual mass, interdisciplinary platforms, and activity support” will aide in supporting and enriching the varied directions of research in the humanities.

I spent my requisite 30 -45 minutes initially looking at Omeka.net and then was absorbed into other peoples websites and found myself intrigued with the variety of websites that were created on this platform. I think that the Omeka site has a lot of great information about how to assemble a successful website. I wanted desperately to check out this following website that is listed as one of the Showcase exhibits. Frustratingly the link was inactive.

Robert & Monnoyer: French Botanical Artists of the 17th Century from Dumbarton Oaks: http://robertandmonnoyer.omeka.net/

My second choice for studying was ALSO inactive, super frustrating!!

Museum On the Move, http://museumonthemove.omeka.net/

My third choice

Documenting the Gilded Age: New York City Exhibitions at the Turn of the 20th Century http://gildedage.omeka.net/

This site is great!! Still in the process but a good collection of resources for those studying or researching art at the end of the 20th century in NYC. I found of particular interest the links to the carious galleries and clubs. A very popular 19 and early 20th century activity was for artists and writers to meet weekly at a venue and paint, sketch, discuss and otherwise gather together to do things artsy. It was fascinating to have all this info in one location and very informative and provided openings for further inquiry.

The Women Writers Project website is a vast inclusive collection of resources for those who are interested or teaching courses in Women’s writing and history. The “goal is to bring texts by pre-Victorian women writers out of the archive and make them accessible to a wide audience of teachers, students, scholars, and the general reader.”  I looked through a few of the texts and was very excited to have access to them rather than having to dig thru archives myself. It is an excellent resource and initiative.