A Valentine from the National Woman’s Party

With Valentines Day upon us it seemed as though timing was in my favor. I was reading newspaper clippings from the National Woman’s Party collection when a specific article caught my eye. But first, I shall give you a small background into my research at the Maine Women Writers Collection. I am a history student at the University of Southern Maine, interning at the MWWC, and working towards creating an exhibit for the collection at the end of the semester. I expressed my interest in studying woman’s movements in the 19th and 20th centuries, having previously done research on the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union. When Cathleen suggested that they had a collection on the National Woman’s Party, I jumped at the opportunity to learn about a different women’s movement.

The National Woman’s Party was first formed in 1916 to fight for women’s suffrage in all states of the U.S. The party gained much of their influence from Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. The Nation Woman’s Party collection holds newspaper clippings, photographs, pamphlets, and reports of conferences and meetings held by the party. The “Susan B. Anthony Amendment” was the party’s main focus when they first formed. The Amendment would later become the 19th Amendment in 1920, when it was finally ratified and women gained the right to vote.

The clippings I came across in the collection, were Valentine’s Day poems and images. The National Woman’s Party used these poems and images in the hopes of persuading politicians and businessmen to support the women’s suffrage movement. The Image in the clipping is the valentine they sent to President Wilson to gain his support. The women are holding little hearts that say “votes.”

Clipping from a National Woman's Party scrapbook

These valentines are a very different way to look at the holiday most people associate with flowers, chocolate, and loved ones. The women of the 1916 National Woman’s Party were much more concerned with gaining their right to vote than who they would be spending their Valentine’s Day with. The clippings from the collection allow us to glimpse back at a world where women’s live were much different than ours today.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

One Response to “A Valentine from the National Woman’s Party”

1. David Kuchta says:

Interesting post, Tegan, and I’m glad to see you’re interning at the Collection. DK