Happy December! Another year is nearing the end and we have been busy at MARC! Thanks to so much community support from our volunteers, students and donors, we have helped to provide care for nearly 100 animals in 2012. That number may climb to over 100 animals in the next week – as we plan to assist New England Aquarium by transferring another batch of sea turtles to MARC for care. Each sea turtle costs several thousand dollars to support during the course of their rehabilitation – and returning healthy turtles to the wild is one of the most important things we do at MARC. While we receive generous support from the University of New England and federal grant programs, we rely heavily on donations to keep our program afloat.
Join us for Seas the Day:: MARC’s December Days of Donating!!!
Each day – now through December 31st, we will be highlighting several small items that benefit the MARC program in some way. Bring one (or a few) items along to the MARC hospital (or send them in the mail) and we’ll walk you behind the scenes of our operations – to see where all the magic happens.
Every day between now and New Year’s Eve – come by between the hours of 10 am – 4 pm to deliver some items and visit the MARC hospital. (We will be closed to the public on Christmas Eve/Day and New Year’s Eve/Day).
- Dawn Soap – Help us keep our hospital clean!
- Thermometers, like this one - preferably waterproof, flexible, unused. These help us monitor the temperatures of our seals very accurately!
- Hand Soap (antibacterial) – Help our volunteers stay germ-free
- Hose Nozzles (prefer those coated in rubber) – They are used daily to clean seal/turtle/porpoise rooms
- Mr. Clean Magic Erasers – Do a great job of super-cleaning our animal pools
- Sponges – excellent for dish-washing
- 3M Green Scrubbers, like these – perfect for scrubbing fish scales off of all surfaces
- A few really durable kitchen knives. – for cutting up squid and fish. Those without wooden handles are even better!
- A knife sharpener – help us preserve the life of the knives we use regularly.
- Adopt an Animal – through our online adoption program – every dollar helps the animals at MARC
- Donate! – online (or mail a check) – All donations are tax-deductable.
- Gift Cards – We frequently shop for animal supplies at places like: Home Depot, CVS, Lowe’s, Hannaford, Rite-Aid, Target, Walmart
- Gift Cards – Perhaps you want to enrich the lives of our generous volunteers?? Provide cards to places like Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, Starbucks, Hannaford, etc and we can purchase snacks and coffee for our volunteer training days (and nights).
- Iodized Salt – Cheap, but does wonders for keeping out salty seals, well, salty. Purchase at your grocery store – and we use it all year round to supplement feeds and other vitamins.
- Glucose Tablets – manufactured for people, but we RELY on them for seals who need help with their blood sugar. It’s added right to their feeds to keep them balanced.
- Duct tape – grey, black, orange, purple, yellow, green, red, blue, blue: we use these colors regularly in our facility.
- WD40 – salt water in our hospital causes lots of squeeky doors and wheels. One small can keeps us squeek-free for weeks.
- More items coming daily!!!
Help us offset the costs of caring for the animals, by helping us to stock many of the items in our hospital that we otherwise have to purchase! To drop off your donation, please come by our office or mail donations to the address below!
MARC at the Marine Science Center – Room 132 (first floor near elevator)
11 Hill’s Beach Road – map
Biddeford, Maine 04005
Our animals can rest easy this holiday season thanks to you!