understands and uses a variety of formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate and support the development of the learner. Candidate performance demonstrating the following capabilities informs this standard.
The ability to:
- Describe the purposes of assessment.
- Use a variety of formal and informal strategies to assess student outcomes.
- Match assessment strategies and instruments to Learning Results and program objectives.
- Use concepts of reliability, validity, and generalizability to design and improve high quality assessments.
- Employ a variety of assessment techniques to collect knowledge of learners, student learning progress, and program effectiveness.
- Use assessments and evaluation to modify teaching and learning strategies and for diagnostic purposes.
- Communicate responsibly and knowledgeably to students, parents, communities, and agencies about student achievement and program outcomes.
- Involve learners in self-assessment and goal setting for learning.
- Document learning using a variety of methods such as portfolios, school records, and other long-term indices of the multiple abilities of students.