MLA Results

The first work that I am going to look at is, “The Cuckoo’s History: Human Nature in Wuthering Heights” by Joseph Carroll explores what each character represents in the novel. There is a prime emphasis on the naturalistic qualities that characters have. In particular Carroll goes on about how there is a Darwinian identity that follows each generation, that there was a trait that allowed them to thrive in wuthering heights and that while it drives Heathcliff in some of his actions, there is also a desire for himself and others to rebel against the natural order. I am interested in possibly pursuing this, because I feel it ties into the identity of each character, and the identity that lies in the names that they carry.

The second work that I am looking at is titled “’Gypsies’ and Property in British Literature: Orlando and Wuthering Heights” by Abby Bardi. Unfortunately I am still waiting for this on Inter library loan, but it should be in early this week. I am hoping to enjoy a reading that critically looks at the features behind heathcliff that shaped his upbringing. His status as an orphan and as an usurper to the house is important, but none of these would have had the impact if it was not for his racial features. I also want to see discussion on how or if Heathcliff managed to overcome these barriers, because while he does get the property and the money, there is still the mystery of how he got his fortune, and what it would mean for status in England during that Era. I am interested in finding out more about these issues in English culture.

The third work is a part of the book “The Brontës in Context” by Marianne Thormählen, and specifically the chapters titled, “Physical Health, and “Mental Health”. I am also waiting on this book to show up for me in the library mail, but I am excited to learn about the writing context that makes up the characters of “Wuthering Heights”. The ideas on what it means to be healthy is a central theme in the novel and I want to explore how this author thinks how the characters health should be interpreted by the standards of the time. The ideas that mentality and your physical condition are linked is another factor of the novel that I want to look at, and that I hope this work gives me a critical view on.

Works Cited

Bardi, Abby. “‘Gypsies’ And Property In British Literature: Orlando And Wuthering Heights.” ‘Gypsies’ in European Literature and Culture. 105-122. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008. MLA International Bibliography. Web. 23 Feb. 2015.

Caldwell, Janis McLarren. “Mental Health.” The Brontës in Context. 344-351. Cambridge, England: Cambridge UP, 2012. MLA International Bibliography. Web. 23 Feb. 2015.

Caldwell, Janis McLarren. “Physical Health.” The Brontës in Context. 335-343. Cambridge, England: Cambridge UP, 2012. MLA International Bibliography. Web. 23 Feb. 2015.

Carroll, Joseph. “The Cuckoo’s History: Human Nature In Wuthering Heights.” Evolution, Literature, and Film: A Reader. 367-380. New York, NY: Columbia UP, 2010. MLA International Bibliography. Web. 23 Feb. 2015.