Let’s be Frankly honest….

(did you like that slight pun, y’all?)

Revisiting my first journal, I realize that my approach to the subject and analysis of Emma was quite different from the rest of class, and was also quite sub-par in my opinion. Is it important to focus on the function of context and the idea of marriage portrayal within the books and how it’s associated with status. However, I would be more interested in pursuing the idea of Emma’s delusional character and the possibility of Jane Austen being an unreliable narrator. If we look at Austen’s other books, for example: Pride and Prejudice, we can find several examples of how she is an unreliable narrator– she is influenced/compelled by the character of Elizabeth Bennett with regards to Mr. Darcy’s character. In fact, much of what we know of Mr. Darcy is framed by Elizabeth’s bias, and an extremely small amount of his own voice is presented throughout the story. The same can be said for Emma and the introduction of her friend Harriet. I seek to work more on depicting the way the society is formed around Ms. Woodhouse.

One thought on “Let’s be Frankly honest….

1. So by this argument, Knightley becomes even more important as the countervailing opinion, someone whose perspective on Emma’s actions we can trust more than we can all the Highbury sycophants’. Your comparison to PP is interesting, too. Those whose opinions of Elizabeth we do learn (her parents’, for example, or Jane’s) we can’t trust either because they love her too well or have too many flaws of their own.

Looser speaks to your point about narrative voice, too. Relying on free indirect style, we hear Emma’s thoughts but don’t get a lot to offset them.