Untold Stories of History

Katie Labbe, Political Science/Women and Gender Studies, 2014

Throughout the past week, the class has been presenting summaries of the information gathered for the Haley Exhibit.  I had no doubts that each group would be able to find unique information, and present it well.  Not only did my classmates meet these high expectations, they surpassed them.  Each presentation displayed thorough research on their subject matter.  Even obscure information that is difficult to attain was found.  During the presentations, it was clear that my classmates have a strong understanding of their sections.

Much like my classmates, I feel as though I am becoming a history investigator.  Although I am not a history major, nor minor, I understand the importance history has on our present and future.  Due to this belief, I find interest and enjoyment in discovering the ramifications of major historical events.  This characteristic prompted me to join theme four, Remembering the War.  I am focusing primarily on what happened to John Haley’s 17th Maine, Company I comrades after the end of the war.  Although an intimidating undertaking, I have found myself captivated by the work.  It is amazing to realize that through this exhibit, the men who so bravely served in the 17th Maine, Company I, will still be remembered 150 years later.  Understandably, it is unrealistic to expect history to give individual recognition to every man that served during the Civil War.  Over time, the names that are remembered and published in history books are those of prominent lieutenants or sergeants.  Through this exhibit however, the previously unearthed stories of the equally brave, yet relatively forgotten veterans can finally be told.