Speed Bumps

Richard Bruce, History, 2013

Recently my team and I have been faced with the challenge of designing exactly how our theme will look to anyone walking through our section of the exhibit.  I am on the team for Theme 3: Women, Men & the Homefront, and right now we’re trying to find a way to use information we’ve researched to hook anyone who comes through our section of the exhibit.

In terms of my online research, recently I came upon a scan of an actual discharge paper of a civil war soldier.  Soldiers could have received these papers for a number of reasons, effectively relieving them of duty.  Despite being a History major, this is the first discharge paper I have come across, I am interested to see how my team and I will be able to incorporate it into the overall idea of our theme.  Even with my recent find, my research has not been without a few speed bumps and I’ve had a bit of a hard time finding information on the life of men who stayed home during the Civil War.  But as I have learned time and time again in the past, sometimes you just have to look in the right spot to find what you’re looking for, I’m confident I’ll be able to find the information I need so our team can make this exhibit the best it can be.

One Response to “Speed Bumps”

1. Scott Scroggins says:

You might want to try to find a copy of “Civil War Boston: Home Front and Battlefield ” by Thomas H. O’Connor. It’s about Boston (obviously) during the war, but would be similar to Maine’s homefront experience.
    Just a thought :)