My experience in Peru

Being able to spend two weeks in an absolutely amazing country was an
experience I’ll keep with me forever. The two weeks I spent in Peru were two
of the most interesting weeks of my life by far! It’s a very different place
than home, and the customs as well as the way of life in Peru was vastly
different.

There were aspects that I loved and appreciated. One being the
fact that everyone was relaxed, and seemed to enjoy the moments of the day
in a completely different way than we do in the U.S. The landscape was also
very different than what I am used to, and the giant mountains and snow caps in the distance were an incredible sight. In addition to the mountains, the many long fields of grass and flowers with the llamas and alpacas that roamed the less residential areas were extremely beautiful.

The many markets and street vendors were really cool, and I enjoyed looking
at thousands of beautiful crafts and clothing. The idea of negotiating prices with vendors was also awesome; we were able to get some great deals! The first day I probably paid too much for a few items, but I learned how to negotiate better by the second day!

There were other aspects which, for me, were hard to adjust to. For example, there were many dogs roaming the streets in Cusco, some of which had homes, and other which were strays. I’m more of a cat person myself, and have a little fear of dogs. Some of them were adorable and friendly, but others were a little scary!

Machu Picchu was absolutely breathtaking. Our tour of the ancient city was incredible and extremely detailed, and we learned some amazing facts about the Incas. Hiking Pisaq, another Incan ruin, was also one my favorite experiences. It was also a beautiful area in the Sacred Valley, and the view was amazing.

For me, Peru was my first travelling experience ever. I’ve never left the East Coast, and to be able to travel to Peru for my first travelling experience is something I am very grateful for. I’m excited to continue travelling and seeing many more
beautiful countries of the world!

-Sam B.