Viva El Peru!

At the beginning of the semester, when I signed up for a “Peruvian history & culture course”, I would have never imagined that in a few months time I would walk away with a new found love for Peru.  The journey that my classmates and I took for 14 days was an experience well worth taking.  To encounter this country in person after reading and learning about the history, the people, and the culture is very rewarding.  For me, not only was this my first time seeing and exploring South America, but it was also the first time I was out of the country, on my own, without my twin brother.  My first taste of independence! And I have to say that I got used to it very quickly.  The host family I lived with were so warm and welcoming.  They made me feel like I was a part of the family, and I loved that!  Not to mention they are a huge family! On the weekends about 12 of the family members get together and spend time playing board games with one another, watching volleyball or soccer matches on the television, eating yummy desserts (Abuela makes a mean jello!), and spoiling the adorable 3 month old baby boy that they have.  They are great people, and I’m glad that I walked away from this experience getting to know this family, and making new friends from Peru.

-Sam L.