Orientation Experience

Nervous about coming to Orientation??

Unsure of what to expect??

Here are the experiences of two Orientation leaders, Alec Parenteau and Rachel Prior, that were in your shoes just a year ago.

By: Alec Parenteau

My orientation experience was absolutely a positive one. Coming into it, I was still not certain if I was going to enjoy being at UNE, and had a lot of questions about what college was going to be like. Upon arriving, the OL’s made me feel very welcomed, and the atmosphere was a very warm one. As the first day progressed I started feeling a lot more relaxed and as anxiety faded, new friends and connections began to develop. Things only went uphill from there. I loved every minute of my orientation. I can honestly say I left my session feeling completely confident in choosing UNE to be my new home away from home. Even to this day, I’m still friends with a good amount of people who I met at orientation! If I had to recommend any advice to those incoming first year students, I would emphasize that you just be yourself. College is certainly not high school. Cliques seem to disappear, and nearly everyone becomes friends with everyone. Being yourself is key to finding your soon-to-be best friends. I would also encourage everyone to make connections and branch out. If you see someone you don’t know, introduce yourself! There are plenty of opportunities during orientation to strike up conversation with someone you may not know. Take advantage of that!

By: Rachel Prior

Being a normal human being, as you can well imagine, I was utterly petrified at the thought of being surrounded by total strangers for a week!  The entire car ride to UNE for orientation, my palms were sweating and I was jabbering away aimlessly to my mother trying to ease my whirlwind thoughts. Upon arriving to campus, entirely too early, I was alone in the residence halls to unpack my bags, and even after meeting all the orientation leaders, it wasn’t until other new students started arriving when I really felt like this week was actually going to be okay.  After the first couple of hours after meeting my new floor mates, I absolutely knew that some of these people were going to be some of the closest friends I would ever have! I was also worried about whom I was going to live with during the actual school year and immediately had those worries erased from my mind when I decided to room with two of the girls that I met during orientation. That was one of the best decisions I have made, they have become two of my very best friends.  I guess through all of this the best advice I can give to you is to just put yourself out there, want to meet new people, and form new relationships.  It is a very exciting and challenging time but it doesn’t have to be that bad as long as you just enjoy yourself and have fun! Cause honestly its college Orientation! YOU’RE GOING TO COLLEGE! BE EXCITED! Can’t wait to meet you all!