Preparing for Summer Orientation

Nick Durand is a 2nd year Nursing student from Swansea, MA

Hey everyone. My name’s Nick Durand and I’m going to be a second year nursing student. When I went to Orientation last summer, it was the first time I had really been on my own, away from home. I had some doubts about what it was going to be like. I had heard from some of my friends who had gone to other Orientations at other school about how awful it was and how boring it was. Everyone said it was going to be filled with people talking at us. They could not have been more wrong. The first day I was there I met a couple of people who like me, liked volleyball. That night we all met up and played volleyball with a bunch of people until one in the morning! And don’t think you will ever be bored. There is always something to do, even if its hanging out and playing games in the lounge with the people on your floor. Orientation was probably the highlight of my summer. As soon as I got home, I started a countdown as to how many days were left until I got to go back to UNE. A lot of the friends I have now, I met at Orientation. It’s definitely a time to try new things and just to be you!
Some tips:

• Be open minded. Don’t go into Orientation with any bad ideas or assumptions.
  • Reach out to people. You will have plenty of opportunities to meet people who have similar interests. Don’t be afraid to approach new people and make friends.
  • You are not alone. All of the other students are feeling the same way you are! And remember that all of the OL’s and OA’s have gone through the same thing you are. If you have a question or need to talk, that’s what they’re there for!
  • Don’t be nervous! Well, its ok to be a little nervous but don’t let it get the best of you. Try to put it aside and HAVE FUN! You’ll get back as much as you put in!
  • I cannot wait for this summer! Being selected as an OL has made this year great and I know this summer is going to make it even better. The OL’s and OA’s really made my Orientation experience. I connected with so many of them. I hope I can help make the Orientation experience great for all of you incoming first years!!
    Want to learn more about New Student Orientation? Visit us at www.une.edu/newnoreasters.

Twitter Buttons