On to Hiawassee, GA

Friday, February 3: I left Low Gap shelter at 9:00 a.m. Not feeling as well as I’d wished, I nonetheless maintained a steady pace, arriving at Blue Mountain shelter about 1:00 p.m. (7.3 miles). After a half-hour break, I departed for Unicoi Gap, another 2.4 miles. This last piece included a small climb (.9 miles) with the balance downhill. However between my stomach upset and the sometimes slippery nature of the trail; I was happy to see the road below. Shortly before I reached the gap I caught a glimpse of a man (Bill) headed the same way.

In the gap I had an opportunity to meet Bill, a gentleman in his 70s. We chatted long enough for me to determine that “Roots” had completed the Appalachian Trail, over a period of two years in 2009! As he was headed home to Hiawassee, GA, I was grateful that he was willing to bring me into town as well. Though I had plenty of food, I needed to figure-out what was wrong with my cell phone (no service since Blood Mountain), pick-up some more fuel, and get-over what was seeming more-and-more like a bout of stomach flue… Though we first checked a well-known “hiker motel” it was still closed (between seasons). Therefore, the next best place to stay (value and price) was the Holiday Inn Express.

Before Bill would let me go, he gave me his telephone number, in the event I needed a ride back to the gap. For thru-hikers, Bill is what we affectionately call: a “trail angel.” He’ll tell you that he’s just “giving back” to other hikers, what people did for him when he was on the trail. However, his value to the hiker community is much more than that; as he is a genuine and caring individual!

Once I was checked-in to the hotel, I immediately began to organize my time between taking a shower, sorting out my dirty clothes, and whittling away at the weight of my pack. The shower was wonderful and because I always try to maintain one set of clean/dry clothes, I was able to be clean and also look clean! Then it was off to the in-house laundry where I washed the dirty clothes, and worked on my hiking notes. Once back in the room I created a small “pile” of items I would mail home on Saturday.

After checking at the hotel’s front desk, I proceeded to Daniel’s Steak House (their recommendation) for some dinner. Daniel’s has a full-service menu, plus a buffet (dinner, salad, or both). I chose the salad bar, as my “system” was due for some vegetables and greens! The choice was a good one, as my stomach seemed to settle-down. However, my back was becoming more of a problem… Fortunately, I slept fine. 9.7 miles for the day; 52.9 miles on the AT.

20120212-115156.jpg

41 Responses to “On to Hiawassee, GA”

1. Attitude is the way you mentally look at the world around you. It is how you view your environment and your future. It is the focus you develop toward life itself!.

2. I appreciate you taking the time to create this post. It continues to be really useful to me indeed. Enjoy it.

3. Buck Gehred says:

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

4. dan says:

Looks beautiful! Haven’t yet had the chance to hike along the AT yet, but just got back from a 40+ mile trek through Big Bend National Park in Texas last week and it has me yearning for more. For someone looking to do a 40-100 mile section of the AT, can you recommend any particularly beautiful stretches of the trail?

5. Danny Callan says:

Awesome picture at the end! What a great view! :)

6. smart source says:

Great Post, bookmarked Thanks

7. That picture at then end is really beautiful.

8. Janet says:

That looks like it would be fun climbing through those trails. How long does it take to go that far? I wouldn’t be able to do that with the job I have. Cheers!

9. Mike says:

That view is awesome

10. Geoge Amaw says:

15. Simply wish to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is just spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

11. Glass says:

Sound like a great hike. Makes me want to go hiking now.

12. Peter says:

Great article, love the pics at the bottom. Wish I was here!

13. Mel Spruell says:

I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!! I absolutely loved every bit of it. I have you book-marked to check out new things you post…

14. Coy Tack says:

Very good blog post. I definitely appreciate this site. Continue the good work!

15. Great post, had to bookmark it. Will be back for more.

16. Movies says:

nice pic, i love this picture

17. Ann Ryder says:

Thank you for taking the time to post this, it is much appreciated!

18. Steve says:

We went to Hiawassee last summer. It was really fun we had a good time there my son really enjoyed :)

19. Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post. Many thanks for supplying this info.

20. David Brooks says:

21. Great Post, bookmarked Thanks

22. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog. A great read. I’ll definitely be back.

23. Thank you for taking the time to post this, it is much appreciated!

24. Betsy says:

and…when does your wife get a mention? xoxoxox

25. Odessa Mahmoud says:

Awesome post. Expecting a sequel …

26. Burton says:

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share.

27. Fabulous Website Just Great.

28. Rodney Pac says:

I critically enjoy your posts. Many thanks

29. Thanks so much for the post.Really thank you!

30. Nyla Nylund says:

Excellent Blog, I really like reading your updates. :)

31. I was looking for this, thanks! I think all of the info here are so amazing. Bookmarked, i’ll check back later!

32. improv says:

Awesome Share. Thank you!

33. sophie says:

Bookmarked this blog

34. great article, we certainly adore this site, go on the idea

35. Health News says:

In this place, your back yard is a world where beauty and tranquility unite.

36. Perfect just what I was looking for! .

37. I discovered your webpage http://blog.une.edu/at/2012/02/12/on-to-hiawassee-ga/ via a Bing search and I want to compliment you on it. There’s so much useful information here. You’ve just gotten yourself a frequent visitor.

38. This is my first time i visit right here. I found so a lot of entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its conversation. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment right here! Keep up the excellent work.

39. Greetings! Very useful advice within this article! It is the little changes that produce the largest changes. Many thanks for sharing!