Three Days on the Trail (one doesn’t count)…

Sunday, January 29: Travelled to Amicalola State Park with my friends Bernie and Ruth Goldfine, and their three boys: Jake, Will, and Tyler. We began at the top of the falls (1:30 p.m.) and for my first 45 minutes hiking on the “approach trail” I had the pleasure of their company. The sun was shining, and though there was some wind gusts, overall we had a blast! After the Goldfine’s departure, I proceeded to complete the 7.5 miles to Springer Mountain the southern terminus of the AT ( by 5:30 p.m.). I managed to take a couple time delay photos before walking my first .2 miles on the Appalachian Trail. Just off the AT at .2 miles is a shelter and camping area. On the way to the shelter I was greeted by Jeff, a section hiker headed to Fontana Dam, NC. Dinner, and bed rest was a welcome experience… The sky that was crystal clear: the moon, less than half-full, cast distinct shadows; and, even the stars that create the sword of Orion were clearly visible.

Monday, January 30: With a thermometer reading of 30 degrees Fahrenheit, I was pleased to find my water did not freeze (protected by my pack). I packed-up and chatted briefly with Jeff while munching on some gorp. I departed for Hawk Mountain shelter at 10:00 a.m. I made steady progress, averaging approximately two miles per hour. Throughout the hike, the temperature rose to about 55 degrees. I arrived at Hawk Mountain shelter at 1:50 p.m (7.9 miles) and decided that I would remain there rather than going further, as the next shelter was 7.4 miles. I also felt that getting some more rest and an earlier start, the next day, would be a good idea. By 5:00 p.m. there were five others (including Jeff) at the site; all tenting except for me. I slept reasonably well and the temperature this night remained above freezing.

Tuesday, January 31: I was up at about 7:15 a.m.; and, packed-up and on my way north by 8:30 a.m. (I’d like to be on the trail by 8:00 this time of year). Taking regular breaks, I arrived at Gooch shelter (7.9 miles) at I:00 p.m. During the morning I saw two deer, but unfortunately the sun was behind them so taking a photo was not an option. At Gooch, I decided to eat a dinner meal and rest a bit; then hike on… My “dinner” break lasted an hour, so by 2:00 p.m. I was on my way again. The afternoon walk allowed me to stretch my mind and body a bit. There were some wonderful views, and the trail had less up and down. I covered an additional five miles by 5:00 p.m.; giving me a total for the day of 13.1 miles (21.2 miles on the AT). Wednesday there is a 60 percent chance of rain… Blood Mountain (Georgia’s tallest mountain) is slated for Wednesday.

20120201-000103.jpg

20120201-000122.jpg

20120201-000213.jpg

22 Responses to “Three Days on the Trail (one doesn’t count)…”

1. Dennis says:

Hi Rick, Sounds like a good start. Dennis

2. Dottie &Tom says:

Hi Rick good for you. We wish the best.

3. Dottie &Tom says:

Hi Rick, good for you. We will be thinking about you. Have fun.

4. Hi, I have wanted to write about something like this on my own blog and you gave me an idea. It always stimulates me to search for some new blogs and such valuable content as “Three days on the trail (one doesn’t count)… On the AT”. I am looking forward to your next post. Appreciate your work ;) PS. Can you recommend any other blogs or websites with the same topics? Cheers, Biżuteria Srebrna

5. Wohh just what I was searching for, thanks for posting . “Talent develops in tranquillity, character in the full current of human life.” by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

6. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of Three days on the trail (one doesn’t count)… On the AT . Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

7. fapturbo says:

Wow this is an interesting article. I hope to see more in the future.

8. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will come back later in life. I want to encourage one to continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

9. Issac Maez says:

very interesting info ! .

10. Ruben says:

thanks for this awesome post

11. You should enter the competition one of the best blogs on the web. I recommend this site!.

12. love your site as well as my daughter Katty because if the information you provide us with. thanks and i bookmarked and shared your site on my facebook wall.

13. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will come back someday. I want to encourage continue your great writing, have a nice day!

14. I went over this website and I think you have a lot of superb info, saved to my bookmarks (:.

15. tangkasnet says:

I gotta favorite this website it seems very helpful very helpful

16. Nice read. This blog is awesome.

17. world says:

Right here is the perfect site for anybody who wants to understand this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a topic that’s been written about for years. Wonderful stuff, just excellent!

18. Gail Bainum says:

Great post, sharp mind and brilliant writing. Thanks

19. Jayna Lavani says:

I truly enjoyed this. It was incredibly educational and useful. I will return to check on upcoming posts

20. well i guess the one – of three – isn’t something you will forget